World Championships 2017 Selection Process
· For World Championships 2017 the winner of the ITA Dublin Open for cadets and seniors 2017 will be the 1st choice selection
· Those going for selection for World Championships 2017 should write to the national team coaches and managers (firstname.lastname@example.org) through their instructors stating which divisions which they wish to contest. This must be sent by March 19th
· In the case that a division is won by a non-eligible competitor (e.g. International or non ITF Ireland) the coaches will choose the 1st person under the same criteria as the additional places in that division
· Please note all communication with the national team coaches and management must be made through email@example.com
Criteria for selecting 2nd and 3rd places:
1. Performances and results at national tournaments in previous 12 months
2. Performances and results at International Opens/World Cup in previous 12 months
3. Performances and results at Euros 2016 & 2017
4. Progress over last 12 months and potential for improvement
5. Participation and attendance at squad training and commitment to Team Ireland
6. If coaches cannot reach a consensus they may choose to have a fight off/scored match between the competitors in question
7. Coaches have the flexibility to offer places to competitors in alternative divisions to those they initially put themselves forward for if they feel it is in the best interests of the competitor and team Ireland
8. To be selected must be an active member in good standing of an ITF Ireland club
9. Selections for World Championships 2017 will be completed within 2 weeks following Euros 2017 where possible
· This criteria applies to patterns and sparring but not other disciplines as the heights for special technique and boards for breaking are usually modified and lower than Euros/World requirements
· Applies to divisions with 2 or more people eligible for selection
· Does not apply to merged divisions
· Competitors must compete in the divisions in which they are going for selection. However coaches may choose to offer places to competitors in a different category as outlined above.
· 1kg allowance applies for sparring divisions
· Those selected must pay deposit (amount tbc) to the national team account to confirm their place
· Those selected must give dobok, tracksuit and sparring gear sizes to team managers as soon as selected to all equipment can be ordered early
· Those selected must give email adress and phone number to managers on selection. Junior must also supply email and phone number of parent/guardian.
· Q&A sessions will be built into squad training at end of sessions to allow parents/guardians and personal coaches of competitors (especially juniors) to communicate directly with coaches and managers about logistics of trip, costs, ordering equipment, training progress etc.
Additional Notes on selection:
Current Coaching & Management Team
Master Mark Buckley VII - National Team Director
Mr. Jack Sheehan III - Manager
Master Tim Forde VII - Assistant Manager
Master Stephen Cooley VII - Coach
Mr. Adrian Byrne VI - Coach
Mr. Stephen Ryan VI - Coach
Mr. Darren Smith V - Coach
Mr. Luke Laffan III - Coach
Mr. Paul King I - Coach
The national team coaching and management team can be contacted at the following address:firstname.lastname@example.org
All those who wish to be considered for national team selections must have the following in their possession:
· A valid ITF black belt certificate and ID card (must be IRE to represent Ireland). If you do not, please contact the ISecretary General of your association, as appropriate, regarding ratification or replacements.
· A valid passport
· Travel insurance
· Personal insurance
· Full set of ITF approved equipment (It is recommended that you have a set of red and blue gear)
Fees and payments
All those wishing to be considered for selection must:
· Pay the appropriate deposit by the given deadline
· Pay instalments by the given deadlines
· Pay 10 Euro per squad training session to help cover the costs of renting the facilities, hiring vans to transport mats etc.
At the start of each campaign all competitors must follow the following procedure to be considered eligible:
· Write to the ITF Ireland national coaching and management team (email@example.com) by the given deadline to confirm their intention to be considered for selection
The fully completed competitor agreement form and registration form must be emailed to the managers as part of confirming selection. The application form must contain all the required personal information and the events that they wish to be considered for.
· The competitor’s instructor must sign the application form.
· In the case of juniors, a parent must sign the form.
· If a competitor does not contact the coaching and management team by the given deadline it will be assumed that they do not wish to be considered for selection.
Pay the deposit by the given deadline
During squad training all competitors are expected to follow the following procedure:
· Be punctual and arrive early for sessions in order to set up (put down mats etc)
· Pay the appropriate training fees at the start of each session
· Start each session by formally bowing and following the ITF Taekwon-Do protocol
· Give full effort in every session
· Show an ability and willingness to listen to instruction and feedback and show progression from session to session
· Keep a training diary and a notebook for feedback
When selections are being made the following procedure will be followed:
· The competitor’s instructor will be contacted. The instructor must give their written consent for their student to be part of the national team
· In the case of juniors parents will be contacted and their written consent must be given for their son/daughter to be part of the national team
· The competitor will be contacted and they must confirm if they are accepting or declining their place(s) in writing by the given deadline and by transferring the deposit (the amount will be outlined in the letter offering the competitors their place on the national team).
· All instructors are asked to communicate on a regular basis with the coaches to keep them up to date on the week-to-week training of their competitor(s), their progress. If an instructor has any concerns regarding their competitor they must contact the coaches and management team at their earliest convenience
· All instructors are welcome to attend national team training so that coaches and management can discuss their competitor’s progress and training in person
· All instructors must give their written consent for their competitor(s) to try out for national team